Post 1: Initial Post
This posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph and a maximum of two paragraphs. Word totals for this post should be in the 100–200-word range. Whether you agree or disagree, explain why with supporting evidence and concepts from the readings or a related experience. Include a reference, link, or citation when appropriate.
Choose ONE of the following questions to respond to in your initial post.
- Review the leadership traits identified in your reading. Which trait do you think is most important for a leader to possess? Which do you think is least important? Explain your choices.
- Your reading included examples of poor leadership, including Martin Winterkorn at Volkswagen and Carrie Tolstedt at Wells Fargo. Under these leaders, employees acted unethically, resulting in harm to customers as well as the business. Choose an example of poor leadership from your reading or elsewhere, and explain what you think the leader could have done differently. What role did the leader’s situation play in his or her actions? What would you have done in a similar situation?
- Think of a person you consider to be a good leader. Does this person possess some of the traits of a good leader discussed in your reading? How would you describe his or her leadership style? Be specific, using terms from your reading.
Posts 2 and 3: Respond to Classmates’ Posts
After you have created your initial post, look over the discussion posts of your classmates and give at least two thoughtful responses to two different classmates (one per classmate).
A response posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph. Word totals for these posts should be in the 75–100-word range. Whether you agree or disagree, explain why with supporting evidence and concepts from the readings or a related experience. Include a reference, link, or citation when appropriate. The goal of your response posts is to extend discussions already taking place or pose new possibilities or opinions not previously voiced. Your goal should be to motivate the group discussion and present a creative approach to the topic.
Contributors and Attributions
- Discussion: What Makes a Good Leader?. Authored by: Lumen Learning. License: CC BY: Attribution
- General Discussion Instructions. Authored by: Linda Williams and Lumen Learning. License: CC BY: Attribution