Post 1: Initial Post
This posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph and a maximum of two paragraphs. Word totals for this post should be in the 100–200-word range. Whether you agree or disagree, explain why with supporting evidence and concepts from the readings or a related experience. Include a reference, link, or citation when appropriate.
As you learned in your reading, globalization is complicated. While it creates new opportunities for businesses and workers, it can also hurt local economies, exploit workers, and threaten the environment. Watch the following video for a crash course on how globalization and free trade affect people living in extreme poverty throughout the world.
An interactive or media element has been excluded from this version of the text. You can view it online here: http://pb.libretexts.org/pom/?p=594
Choose ONE of the following questions to respond to in your initial post.
- What responsibility do businesses have to developing economies, workers, and the environment when they choose to pursue global strategies? Do you think corporations like Apple, which has a well-developed global supply chain, have done enough to manage the potential negative effects of their globalized operations?
- When businesses enter global markets, what do you think the role of managers should be in minimizing harm to foreign workers and the environment? Address the planning, organizing, leading, and controlling functions in your response.
- As mentioned in the video, the US produces an annual “List of Goods Produced by Child Labor or Forced Labor.” How effective do you think this is in raising awareness about working conditions in other countries? Do you think pressure from officials, the media, and the public is the best way to prevent companies from doing business with countries that violate international labor standards, or do you think other methods would be more effective?
Posts 2 and 3: Respond to Classmates’ Posts
After you have created your initial post, look over the discussion posts of your classmates and give at least two thoughtful responses to two different classmates (one per classmate).
A response posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph. Word totals for these posts should be in the 75–100-word range. Whether you agree or disagree, explain why with supporting evidence and concepts from the readings or a related experience. Include a reference, link, or citation when appropriate. The goal of your response posts is to extend discussions already taking place or pose new possibilities or opinions not previously voiced. Your goal should be to motivate the group discussion and present a creative approach to the topic.
- Discussion: Managing Globalization. Authored by: Lumen Learning. License: CC BY: Attribution
- General Discussion Instructions. Authored by: Linda Williams and Lumen Learning. Located at: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/wmopen-introbusiness/chapter/discussion-external-factors-internal-pressure/. License: CC BY: Attribution