Post 1: Initial Post
This posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph and a maximum of two paragraphs. Word totals for this post should be in the 100–200-word range. Whether you agree or disagree, explain why with supporting evidence and concepts from the readings or a related experience. Include a reference, link, or citation when appropriate.
Choose ONE of the following questions to respond to in your initial post.
- Think of a company whose product or service you feel strongly about (positive or negative). Research that company’s mission statement. Do you think the company is achieving its mission? Be sure to include the company, the mission statement, and reasons why you think the company is or isn’t achieving its mission.
- In your reading on forecasting, you read examples of botched forecasts by business leaders, including one from Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer predicting in 2012 that the iPhone wouldn’t get any significant market share. Why do you think it’s difficult for businesses to accurately forecast the future when planning?
- In your reading, we identified six steps of the planning process:
- Define objectives
- Develop premises
- Evaluate alternatives
- Identify resources
- Plan and implement tasks
- Determine tracking and evaluation methods
Which step do you think businesses most often overlook or fail to adequately address when making plans? Why?
Posts 2 and 3: Respond to Classmates’ Posts
After you have created your initial post, look over the discussion posts of your classmates and give at least two thoughtful responses to two different classmates (one per classmate).
A response posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph. Word totals for these posts should be in the 75–100-word range. Whether you agree or disagree, explain why with supporting evidence and concepts from the readings or a related experience. Include a reference, link, or citation when appropriate. The goal of your response posts is to extend discussions already taking place or pose new possibilities or opinions not previously voiced. Your goal should be to motivate the group discussion and present a creative approach to the topic.
Contributors and Attributions
- Discussion: Mission Accomplished?. Authored by: Lumen Learning. License: CC BY: Attribution
- General Discussion Instructions. Authored by: Linda Williams and Lumen Learning. Located at: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/wmopen-introbusiness/chapter/discussion-external-factors-internal-pressure/. License: CC BY: Attribution