For this assignment, you will create a Word document that is mail merged with an Access customer contact table. Mail Merge can be used to create bulk labels, letters, envelopes, and emails. You will be creating letters to send with the newsletter you previously edited. Follow the directions below, then submit your assignment. If you get stuck on a step, review this module and ask your classmates for help in the discussion forum.
You have been tasked with mailing the newsletter you previously created to customers of Rowan Retail. In order to accomplish this task, you need to merge the customer contact information in the Access file with a Word document in order to make mailing labels. Follow these steps to accomplish the task.
- The first step is to download the customer contact Access file and save it to the Rowan folder on your desktop.
- Open Word and create a new document by clicking on the Blank document option in the window.
- Save the document by using Save As and rename the document to BA132_LastName_MailMerge.docx, replacing “LastName” with your own last name. (Example: BA132_Hywater_MailMerge)
- Begin Mail Merge: Select the Mailings tab and use the Step-by-Step Mail Merge Wizard for this mail merge letter.
- Wizard: Walk through the wizard and click the Next: Starting document link leaving the selection of document type to ‘Letters’.
- Create letter: Leave the document type to ‘Use the current document‘ and click the Next: Select recipients link.
- Contact List: You already have a file with a contact list. Leave the selection ‘Use an existing list’ selected and click on the Browse link.
- Insert File: Find where you saved the Rowan Retail Customer Contact Info.accdb file and use this for the mail merge contacts file.
- Prepare contact file: Find Richard Castle and Britney Spears and uncheck their boxes. Go to the Next: Write your letter link step.
- Compose the letter: Decide where to place your cursor in the document for adding in an address and use the Address Block option from the wizard or the ribbon button, to select the naming style.
- Decide Greeting: Decide where you would like the greeting to be in the letter. Select the Greeting line from the wizard or the ribbon button and decide the style of greeting.
- Paste the following text to serve as the body of your letter. Enclosed is the quarterly newsletter for Rowan Retail. Please enjoy the information therein and pay special attention to the dates for the special sales this summer. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us as soon as possible.
- Finish Letter: Close the letter with ‘Sincerely’ and then your name. Save your work and click Next: Preview your letters.
- Check Letters: Scroll through the letters by clicking on the arrows. Britney Spears and Richard Castle should be missing in the recipients.
- Complete the Merge: Once the merge is completed, click on Edit individual letters… if you need to make any changes to just a few letters.
- For this assignment don’t make any edits to individual letters and continue to the final step.
- Optional Task: To double check the letters you can print them out. Make sure ‘All’ records are selected to make sure all print or select specific ones if you want to print a few.
- Your merge mail file is now complete! Save your file once more, this time as a PDF (use the .pdf file extension), and submit the PDF in your course online.
Contributors and Attributions
- Assignment: Use Mail Merge. Authored by: Sherri Pendleton. Provided by: Lumen Learning. License: CC BY: Attribution