- Discuss the usefulness of creating additional assignments for potential candidates to complete
In Module 15: Recruiting and Selecting New Employees, we cover additional methods to determine a job applicant’s skills. Have you ever had to complete a test or demonstrate your skills as part of the hiring process? Have you been a manager who required one of these skill assessments of your job applicants?
Using your cell phone or any other recording device, create a short video advising a fellow student who shares your time management style. You don’t have to edit or create a professional-grade film. You’ve most likely have done this type of recording already on social media, so feel free to use the same informal conversational tone.
Do an internet search for a job posting website, such as Indeed, and read about their skills tests. Think of your audience as fellow students who are interested to learn about these skills assessments as fellow managers. In your video, you can address the following:
- How would these tests help you determine a candidate’s knowledge, skills, and abilities?
- How might these tests inhibit your ability as a manager to find the best candidate?
- If you have had experience with these tests, and you feel comfortable sharing your experience, tell your audience what worked or didn’t work for you.
A Note To Teachers: For this assignment, the first term students will be creating the videos, and then the next term’s students can respond to the videos. After you have two terms of examples, use the best three from the batch as examples and start the process over again. Using the videos as starting points for OL discussion boards may work as well.
- Open Pedagogy Assignment 3: Additional Assignments for Job Candidates . Authored by: Lumen Learning . License: CC BY: Attribution