- Identify some of the key elements of animism and at least one real life instantiation
- Pantheism is the belief that everything shares the same spiritual essence—individuals do not have distinct spirits or souls. Animism puts more emphasis on the uniqueness of each individual soul.
- In animist societies, ritual is considered essential to win the favor of the spirits that ward off other malevolent spirits and provide food, shelter, and fertility.
- Shamans, also sometimes called medicine men or women, serve as mediums between the physical world and the world of spirits.
- animism: A belief that spirits inhabit some or all classes of natural objects or phenomena.
- shaman: A member of certain tribal societies who acts as a religious medium between the concrete and spirit worlds.
- spirits: The undying essence of a human. The soul.
Shinto Shrine: Shinto is an animistic religion in Japan.