The benefits of mobile are numerous.
- Most mobile marketing mediums don’t require you to educate the audience.
- Mobile is location-specific, offering opportunities to localise marketing and sharpen targeting efforts.
- Mobiles are very immediate devices, with messages delivered instantly and very often acted on quickly.
- Campaigns delivered via mobile can be very cost-effective.
- Mobiles give you the opportunity to reach a target audience that may not have access to desktop computers.
- Mobiles are ideal devices for well-optimised content delivery.
Of course, it also comes with its own unique challenges.
- Privacy is paramount because the mobile phone is personal, so campaigns need to ask users’ permission and assure them of privacy.
- Mobiles vary widely in screen size, operating systems and browsers, so standardising websites and campaigns can be a challenge.
- The small screen size associated with mobile limits options for browsing and inputting information.
- Ensuring that brands provide value to users over mobile can take some careful thought.
- Smartphone penetration is far from 100% in developing areas, and data costs can impact user access as well.