Case study questions
- Why would bad copy in emails prevent users from signing up with Yelp, which aims to help businesses grow?
- Why do you think the more targeted copy performed better than the more generic copy?
- Identify the writing for digital principles (including audience considerations) that improved the response rate for the Yelp emails.
- Why is important to write for an ’audience of one’?
- Why should users dictate your content? List some ways that users’ needs determine content.
- What are some ways to make web copy easy to read and why is it important to do so?
- For some real online copywriting practice, choose an article in a magazine or newspaper and rewrite it for an Internet audience.
To get started on writing for digital, Hot Text: Web Writing That Works is an easy-to-read and thorough resource. The website for the book is www.webwritingthatworks.com. Another excellent resource is The Idea Writers: Copywriting in a New Media and Marketing Era (www.palgrave.com/gp/ book/9780230613881) www.copyblogger.com has regular articles and case studies on writing online copy that converts.