Case written based on information from United States Government Accountability Office. (2005, July). College textbooks: Enhanced offering appear to drive recent price increases (GAO-05-806). Retrieved April 22, 2010, from http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-05-806; Web site: Community College Open Textbook Collaborative. (2009). Business reviews. Retrieved April 22, 2010, from www.collegeopentextbooks.org/reviews/business.html; Personal interviews with Jeff Shelstad and Eric Frank.
- Planning is a key component to the P-O-L-C framework. What type of planning do you think the founders of engaged in?
- What competitive advantages does possess?
- What are key strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats?
- How might the extensive textbook industry experience the founders possess help or hinder their strategy formulation and ultimate success or failure?
- Based on Porter’s strategies summarized in the figure below, which type of strategy do you see employing? Support your response.