After reading this section, students will be able to:
- Summarize the history and purpose of the juvenile court
- Explain the pros and cons of the juvenile justice system.
- Briefly examine the stages of the juvenile justice system
- Examine the reasons supporting and criticizing the process of waiver to adult court
- Explain how due process has evolved through the juvenile court.
In this section, you will be introduced to juvenile justice. This section is designed to be a broad overview of the juvenile court system, to examine the pros and cons of the juvenile justice system, examine the various stages in the juvenile justice system, and discuss contemporary issues facing juvenile justice.
Critical Thinking Questions
- What impact did the child savers have on juvenile justice reform?
- Explain how due process has been used throughout the history of the juvenile justice system.
- How has the juvenile justice system evolved since it was created?
- What are the different types of waiver?
- What four areas changed the juvenile court?