Suggested course level
Lower level undergraduate
- Students will discuss what elements contribute to making an email message audience-centred.
- A copy of the email message projected on screen (Available at https://technical.ly/philly/2017/01/30/sap-bill-mcdermott-muslim-ban-trump/)
- Project the email message on the screen.
- Read the message aloud to students.
- Ask students to discuss in pairs what works well in the message and why and how the message keeps the audience in the forefront.
- Debrief the activity with students.
Debrief questions / activities
- What works well in the email and why?
- How does this message keep the audience in the forefront? (Things to highlight/note: use of you attitude, warm and friendly tone, inclusive language, validates the emotions/feelings/needs of the audience, etc)
Tags: audience analysis / context analysis, audience-centred messages, emails, think-pair-share, discussion, small group, whole class